11 years in upstate NY. My photos, jottings and random musings.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Pilates & Beached Whales

 As you have probably noticed, or indeed, not noticed, I haven't written on my blog for a while. Work and life really takes up a lot of time, and my life really isn't that interesting. BUT I have decided on a lifestyle change (me and the hubs) and have been cutting out junk food. Already I have lost 7lb and joined myfitnesspal.com online, which is a great resource to track food and exercise and to find encouragement to keep going. I'm not going to bore you with my dieting details I promise, but felt that I should pass on some words of wisdom about  exercise and Pilates.
I have been really motivated to get out and get some endorphins pumping around by walking briskly every day this past few weeks.

However, today I thought - "I'm going to change it up a notch" and searched out my 10 Minute Pilates workout DVD 10 Minute Solution: Rapid Results Pilates  With spandex pulling me in but somehow STILL looking like a nobbly potato dressed in black, I skipped downstairs with a couple of towels to pad my already amply padded body and eagerly awaited instruction.

 First exercise - ok, I can do this. Hug knees to chest and then stretch one leg out, then the other whilst lightly clasping the opposite knee. No sweat. "Wow", I thought, "If this is Pilates, I'm going to have a great bod in no time!".

Next exercise - lie on back, bring legs together and straight up. Hmmm....ok, I CAN do this...then bring legs over head, bum in the air and support back. I CAN do this, I CAN do this..hey, wait! I CAN'T bring my legs over my head?? When did I stop being able to do this?? OK, then try doing it by propelling yourself backwards quickly...nope, that's not working. Grunt, grunt...breaking sweat, flailing around like a beached whale. Meanwhile, the perky instructor has already got to exercise number 3.

Lie on your side and support yourself on one elbow..ok. Now lift your body up to make a straight line. Lady, have you seen me? Do you really think I can do this? What? You're not listening to me? Grrrr...swing leg forward and back, other arm forward and back. By this time, I really am whimpering like a...erm...wimp. My bottom. will. not. stay. in. the. air. and. my. elbow. will. not. support. my. weight. I think I broke my funny bone.

I'm not giving up though...let's move on to exercise four. Lie on side and one leg should be in another room, whilst your top arm is overlapping your little toe and your bottom arm is...who the hell cares where it is?
Remote in hand, I swiftly shut Miss Perky up and decide to go for a walk instead

2 comments:

  1. Eh, your life isn't really that interesting??? You jest my dear cousin, you really do!

    And you've just motivated me to close down my computer and go out for a walk in the sunshine. :) Pilates, schmilates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I think...I'm going to stick to walking and start going back to the gym tomorrow. Pilates is for the thin and beautifully bendable people.

      Delete