11 years in upstate NY. My photos, jottings and random musings.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Reconnecting

This past couple of days, I have reconnected with some old friends. I love it when someone from your past of whom you have fond memories just pops up.


When I was a youth pastor back in Ipswich, UK, I was asked a couple of times to work at a Christian conference called Spring Harvest. Thousands of people would attend the Butlins holiday camps in England, to learn from the many seminars and to enjoy the worship time in a huge circus big top. I did a couple of stints as a detached youth worker there in 1997 and 1998 with a couple of very wonderful people with whom I have just just reconnected.


First up is Sean Stillman - he runs a gig in Swansea called Zac's Place. It's like a church, but not like a church. It is all welcoming. It's run in a pub. It has gigs. Sean is a biker and a minister. He is unlike anyone I've ever met. He is funny, generous, passionate about people - all people, and he cuts through the crap. Check out Stiller's Zac's Place Blog and his websites. You will be encouraged and inspired by him and his mates. He's a long-haired biker dude of God!


Sean and I did a "Just Looking" class (in '99 I think) for people at Spring Harvest who were there just because they had come with their Christian spouses. Me and Sean came from two completely different backgrounds, churches and denominations but we had a blast just interacting with people that week, who were searching for meaning in life, or a nice cuppa tea and rich tea biscuit! One of the highlights of that week was Sammy Horner and his band stopping in for a quick couple of foot-stomping songs for the group as a favour to their mate, Sean. Obviously the other highlights were seeing people connect to God for the first time. That was definitely a cool thing.


Another friend, who is also very much linked with Zac's Place through her work and gigs there is Welsh singer/songwriter and very funny person, Lorraine King. I had the privilege of doing detached youth work with her and Sean at Spring Harvest for two years. I was listening to Martyn Joseph - Thunder and Rainbows (The Best We Could Find 1988 - 2000) and heard her voice on the song "Dic Penderyn", so I decided to see if she was on Facebook, as we hadn't been in contact for a few years now, and there she was! How cool to reconnect with her and catch up on all the years. Lorraine is very talented in her songwriting; she writes songs that cut to the heart and then there is the comedienne side of her: she sings in an Abba tribute band called Bjorn Belief - although she has long dark hair, she sings as Agnetha, the blonde one and her other alter-ego is Polly Pardon (a tribute to one of her favourite songwriters, Dolly Parton).


When you haven't seen someone for a long time, the best thing about reconnecting is the feeling that you only just saw them yesterday; when you can just pick up where you left off.


The thing I really get excited about when going home to the UK..friends I haven't seen for years pop up and we natter for hours over a cuppa or a pint like we haven't been apart in the first place.


That's why I love the story of the Prodigal Son in the bible. There have been many times when I have wandered away from the straight and narrow and the one who gave me life, and yet God, my Father and Friend is there always to welcome me home with a huge hug, a metaphorical cuppa tea (Yorkshire Gold better be in heaven!) and we reconnect where we or rather, I left off. He's good like that, and I appreciate it.


I know I have inserted quite a few links today, but linking to Sean and Lorraine's sites are really worthwhile! Hope you enjoy them.


Cheers, and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment